One of the best parts about living in the San Francisco Bay Area (or almost anywhere in California) is the fresh produce.
Produce in season (and preferably from local farms) tastes better than anything I grew up on in Chicago.
Right now, here’s what tastes the best:
- apricots (last month!)
- artichokes!! Best served with what Charles and I used to call “fat sauce”.
- Asian greens
- Asian pears are here!
- Mmm, basil.
- Oh My God. YES. Blackberries. Candy from the gods! Sweet.
- And holy moly blueberry season. It’s only May through July, people. Get. Them. Now.
- bok choy
- cucumber season begins
- eggplants, the other purple meat!
- fava beans (last month!)
- le moutard (MUSTARD!)
- My favorite. Nectarines are upon us.
- puh-puh-peaches! sexy!
- LOOOVE! raspberries!
- rhubarb, for pie! yum.
- w00t! STRAWBERRY season
- SUMMER SQUASH! So yummy just sauteed or grilled with a bit of salt
- this is it…the only time of year I will eat delicious TOMATOES!
P.S. Fruits and vegetables in season are also less expensive (since they’re not being shipped from Latin America). If you can afford it, buy organic. And find out what farm your noms are coming from, it makes you feel happy to support local farmers.