One of the best parts about living in the San Francisco Bay Area (or almost anywhere in California) is the fresh produce.
Produce in season (and preferably from local farms) tastes better than anything I grew up on in Chicago.
Right now, here’s what tastes the best:
- for May, the apricots are here!!! YUM!
- artichokes!! Best served with what Charles and I used to call “fat sauce”.
- Asian greens
- Oh My God. YES. Blackberry season has arrived. Candy from the gods! Sweet.
- And holy moly blueberry season. It’s only May through July, people. Get. Them. Now.
- bok choy
- My dad’s favorite: BOYSENBERRIES. And they’re only here in May and June. GO!
- cherries (also ONLY May and June!)
- fava beans (three months left)
- kiwi (May is the LAST month)
- le moutard (MUSTARD!) is here
- My favorite. Nectarines are upon us.
- oranges (last month my dears)
- puh-puh-peaches! sexy!
- w00t! STRAWBERRY season
- SUMMER SQUASH! So yummy just sauteed or grilled with a bit of salt
P.S. Fruits and vegetables in season are also less expensive (since they’re not being shipped from Latin America).